Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Words of wisdom from the man who married his daughter....

Woody Allen stopped being funny quite a few years ago. His recent comments to Der Spiegel, however, bring 'unfunny' to a whole new level:
"As a filmmaker, I'm not interested in 9/11 . . . it's too small, history overwhelms it. The history of the world is like: He kills me, I kill him, only wth different cosmetics and different castings. So in 2001, some fanatics killed some Americans, and now some Americans are killing some Iraqis. And in my childhood, some Nazis killed Jews. And now, some Jewish people and some Palestinians are killing each other. Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."
I could spend a long time explaining why Woody's words are so repulsive, why it's no coincidence he wants to be considered a 'European filmmaker,' etc. etc. etc. But I'm not going to waste my time taking this guy seriously. To paraphrase Allen himself, what the hell does he know about Nazis, Jews, Palestinians, 9/11? He doesn't even know how the can opener works!

No comments: