Monday, July 11, 2005

Wedding customs

Just came back from a lovely wedding, in which the following customs, none of which I'd seen before although they may be well known elsewhere, took place:
  • Under the Chuppah, female friends of the bride read the Sheva Brachot in English; male friends of the groom read them in Hebrew
  • The mothers' names were on the Ketubah
  • The bride accepted the ring with the words, 'Hareini Mekabalet Taba'at Zo Mirtzoni, Kedat Moshe VeYisrael' -- 'I receive this ring from my own free will, according to the law of Moses and Israel' (to the best of my recollection -- I'm actually not 100% sure that 'Mirtzoni' was used)
  • At the end of the meal, women recited at least some of the Sheva Brachot (-- Not sure how many as unfortunately we had to leave early).

It was lovely to see so many female guests able to participate and to see the bride -- who, unusually, also got up to speak -- so active and empowered at her own wedding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess these people don't know that the word "halacha" means.