Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Schadenfreude. Big time.

The location of the 2012 Olympics will be announced tomorrow, and the two main contenders, Paris and London, are on shpilkes. Until recently, I was actually rooting against London because I don't think we have the travel infrastructure to support the bid, and the new rail lines, roads etc. which will be built are not in the right places to solve London's enormous transport problems. I'd rather spend the money where it's really needed.
Then Jacques Chirac opened his big mouth. His comments -- I won't call them jokes -- were clearly motivated by pure jealousy and frustration at being proven wrong at every juncture in the international arena over the past few years. Particularly galling was his assertion that "The only thing [the British] have ever given European farming is mad cow."
Actually, we've given billions -- yes, billions -- towards European farming, an industry that hardly exists in Britain, through the EU's Common Agricultural Policy. The CAP costs up to £16 ($30) per family per week in subsidies and food costs. My money directly subsidises rich French farmers. My money!
But Mr. Chirac clearly doesn't appreciate that. Believe me, nothing would make me happier than to take my money -- and $120/month is a lot of money -- back and invest it right here, at home. But one thing could come close: the look on that ingrate's face when his capital city loses its Olympics bid. And then to see him booted out of office because he cost Paris the games.
The first part, at least, might happen tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

No comments: