Tuesday, July 12, 2005

'I acted purely in the name of my religion'

I've just watched a totally depressing television interview with Iqbal Sacranie, the secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain (knighted on the same day as Jonathan Sacks), and a Baroness affiliated with the Liberal Democrats, whose name I didn't catch. Both argued that the bombers were not motivated by religion but rather were marginal 'criminals' and that we have to figure out what we did to 'alienate' them from our society. The interviewer fed them lines about the bombers being possibly motivated by the Iraq war.
In the meanwhile,
The man accused of killing Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh confessed to a Dutch court that he acted out of his religious beliefs, saying he would do "exactly the same" if he were ever set free.
"I take complete responsibility for my actions. I acted purely in the name of my religion," 27-year-old Dutch-Moroccan national Mohammed Bouyeri told the court in Amsterdam on the final day of his trial.
How much clearer could he be? When are people going to listen?

No comments: