Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Is Israel about to win another (pseudo) Gold?

When is an Israeli medal not an Israeli medal? When the athlete who wins it is a dual national, and plays for the Americans instead.
Well, the truth is that Kayaker Rami Zur hasn't won anything yet; but according to the Washington Post, he's " the American canoe-kayak flatwater team's best hope for its first medal since 1992."
Israel and the United States "are the two countries that I most love. I don't really care what anyone else thinks," Zur said. "The situation with the U.S. and what's going on around the world -- it's kind of similar to the feeling I had when I lived in Israel."
Zur was born in America and raised in Israel, and now lives in Chula Vista, Calif. He moved to the United States because the cost of living is less and the training opportunities a bit better, he said.
In true Israeli style, if he wins anything, I'm sure we'll take the credit and be very proud of him nonetheless.

No comments: