Friday, August 13, 2004

I conquer (I think) a 'yetzer hora'

I have been grappling over the last few weeks with a 'taaveh' (rough trans: an unsavoury appetite or desire) - should I buy a new car? The object of my desire is/was the new Volvo V50 - small, compact, stylish ........ I went so far as to test drive it. But driving along one morning this week, I went through a mental checklist -- does my present vehicle still have four wheels/ (Yes). Is it mechanically reliable? (Yes). Is it comfortable? (Yes). Does it fulfil every transport need of my sedate life? (Yes). [The crunch question:] Do I really need a V6, 2.4i engine to go up and down Bathurst Street between home and school (90% of my mileage)? (No.) I stick with the Honda (Civic, 1998, 70,000km).

Yesterday I happened to meet the very good salesman who has been cultivating my lasciviousness ("Mr X" - a colleague who has the parking space next to me in school "of course, he has a Volvo" was his opening comment when I first wandered in to the showroom). I recounted the checklist to him. "Aah,"" he said, disappointed, "You're thinking rationally." I immediately felt better. I hope I hold out until Rosh Hashanah.


POSTSCRIPT: Writing this, posting it and then checking that the link works ... has aroused the appetite again .... isn't it a beautiful car???? Watch for updates on the yetzer hora.



UPDATE (Tuesday 17 August): Alas, the yetzer hara won. I take delivery on Thursday.

No comments: