Tuesday, July 13, 2004

My mother witnesses a murder

This has nothing to do with anything Jewish, however... last night, my mother witnessed a murder, or at least heard it from a distance.
The full story:
My parents live in a quiet, mostly Jewish street in a good, mostly Jewish suburb of Toronto. Since they moved into their house, though, there have always been running jokes and speculation about their rather shady next door neighbors, specifically at their rather shady son. There were always obvious thugs hanging out outside the house, and while my parents never felt threatened, they certainly didn't like it.
Last night, watching television in bed, my mother heard a series of thuds coming from next door. About half an hour later, there was the sound of screaming and sobbing. At this point, my mother mentioned the noises to my father -- she'd never heard such a thing from there before -- but put it down to a family fight.
By 3 am, she was thorougly annoyed by the noises coming from next door; it sounded like a "very noisy barbecue."
Turns out, it was the police and their wirelesses, investigating the murder of our next door neighbor. He had apparently been shot (possibly following a physical fight) and was discovered by his parents, returning from a (real) barbeque. Hence, the thuds -- and half an hour later, the screaming and sobbing.
The entire street is still cordoned off as investigations continue.
So, what will this do to the value of their house? Not much good, I dare say.

UPDATE: More on the case here. Apparently, it's now accepted that the murder was drug-related. Is it surprising, therefore, that someone put a notice at the shrine to the murdered boy at the end of the street saying, "I'll always remember the two years of straight tripping"!

No comments: