Thursday, July 15, 2004

Ingathering of the athletes, part 2

Reports today that the Israel cricket team now has a bona fide Indian playing for it.
Says an ecstatic Sanjay Gupta, who is married to an Indian Jew and who made Aliya in 2001: "I didn't expect to make it to the team so soon. This is my first season in the league and I never dreamt of a call to play at the European Cricket Council (ECC) championships. Certainly not this year. I see myself being rewarded for all the hard work."
I guess Mr. Gupta has been too wrapped up in cricket to notice, so I'm going to break the bad news: Israel (population: 6.5 million) isn't as big as India (population: 1 billion plus). Your chances of being included in any official sports team go up by quite a bit when you move there. Especially if you become one of only 15 people in the country who can play cricket...

No comments: