Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Kidnapped?

Yechiel Nahari, son of the Yemenite woman who 'escaped' to Israel last week with the help of the Jewish Agency, denies she had been held hostage by the NY Satmar community, in whose midst he still lives.
"'It's not right to lie about the Satmar,' Yechil Nahari said yesterday inside a small Monsey restaurant off Route 306. 'No Satmar stopped my mother. They have helped us. My mother wanted to go see her sick parents in Israel. She had visa problems, and this group offered her a free ticket.
"'She wanted to Aliyah, to immigrate. My mom is like the boss. My father didn't want to leave and didn't want to leave the other children behind. They had a problem inside the family.'"
Unfortunately, Satmar's attitude to the Yemenite families it "rescues" is well documented. And I can't imagine the Jewish Agency giving a free ticket to someone who "wanted to go see her sick parents in Israel."

No comments: