Sunday, June 13, 2004

On a rare personal note

Today’s a year to the day since I met my husband. We have both decided that for us, this anniversary is a lot more meaningful and emotional than our wedding day – the day when our lives truly changed, not just when it became official. So, in honor of our real first anniversary, here’s the story of how we met (and am I allowed to mention I’m collecting dating stories – good, bad, and terrible – for a book? Of course I am. It’s my blog. Send them to the email in the top right corner).
This time last year, I was working for the Jerusalem Post, and after a bad breakup, desperately needed a break. My boss obliged with a junket to London.
About a week before the trip, one of my colleagues suggested that while I’m there, I should meet her boyfriend’s brother. I don’t think she put too much thought into it; it was just instinctive upon hearing I was going to London. In any case, I said no; I only had one free day, and didn’t want to waste it on someone I would never see again.
My colleague, though, was insistent, and told me to check out his website, where there was supposedly a picture of him. And sure enough, on the opening page, there was this cute guy with a computer on his lap...
I agreed to meet him, for an hour, tops.
When the day came and Danny picked me up, I couldn’t believe my eyes. The guy walking towards me looked nothing like his picture. For good reason! Turns out, the picture I saw – and which convinced me to go on the date – was of a random guy from an image library, not him at all. When I went back to check after the date, I found another picture of Danny on another page. Although he’s very handsome in real life, in the picture he looked like an al-Qaida suspect. Believe me, had I seen that picture, there would have been no first date – and no marriage.
Happy anniversary, us.

No comments: