Monday, June 21, 2004

You couldn't make this stuff up -- although plenty have tried

Those following the adoption saga in Israel may be interested in this story, about American Ben Davis, who sat down to dinner with a friend and her roommate Kari one night and found his life changed forever. At a certain point during the conversation, the roommate began talking about her long-lost brother, who was adopted at birth.
"She described how she had longed to know him but had been unable to find him. 'Ben was sitting across from me nodding his head,' said Kari. 'And I looked at him and he said, 'Yeah, I know what you mean. I was adopted from Florida'.
"Then Kari mentioned the date of her brother's birthday: August 9. Ben said: 'That's my birthday.'
"Kari was so startled that she blurted out that none of this could be real because her brother was Jewish, so he could not be Ben.
"But Ben replied: 'I was adopted from a Jewish adoption agency.'
You can guess the ending.

No comments: