Thursday, July 22, 2004

To convert, or not to convert?

And now, seriously. My previous entry actually reminds me of an interesting question I used to ask my (Jewish) friends: if you one day woke up and discovered that by some strange turn of events, you weren't actually Jewish, would you convert back to Judaism?
Much to my surprise, the majority said no, and the more religious they were, the more likely they were to say no. Usually, the reason wasn't that they felt restricted by the Jewish way of life; rather, it was the belief that technically, mitzvot are meant only for Jews, and if you're not Jewish, there's no reason to take them on. They followed the mitzvot because they believe they were commanded to, and would give it all up if they ever discovered the mitzvot did not apply to them.
For me, it was always obvious I'd convert in a flash; I love and believe in Judaism and the Jewish people and I cannot imagine leading any other life. I was always shocked when people I'd always assumed felt similarly passionate told me, quite seriously, they wouldn't convert.
What would you do? I open the question up to the floor...

No comments: