Monday, April 12, 2010

Distasteful

Tomorrow, Brooklyn will have a new restaurant, called Traif.

The owner writes:

I am Jewish, although obviously not great at it. So, Traif is a restaurant that celebrates the foods that I love most, which just so happens to be the foods that I am not supposed to eat. At Traif, we will feature pork and shellfish. Do you like bacon in everything, wish that your bowl of moules-frites would never end? Then, you might be very excited for Traif.

Now, I know this is supposed to be a joke - and I don't want to be the party-pooper. But I have to say, this kind of thing makes me groan. You want to eat treif? Go ahead - it's a free world. But the idea that it is somehow 'cool' to eat treif, that it's a thrill, that it's something Jews should take particular delight in - that's just adolescent.

This sad restaurant is going to be packed full of Jews thinking how clever they are to be eating a piece of pork. Guys, grow up.

No comments: